The current trend in interior fashion is the use of patterned wallpaper, which is in many ways superior to plain colors, even despite their elegance. According to the designers, wallpaper decorated with a pattern reflects the main colors in the interior, which means that it largely determines its integral stylistic concept, since it is the pattern that sets the style of the interior. At present, the assortment of Russian stores is so rich that even the most demanding customer can choose the most suitable wall covering option for himself. At the same time, in the collection of each major manufacturer, there will certainly be many options for wallpaper, decorated with intricate patterns and striking in their color variety. Despite the fact that the choice of wallpaper, at first glance, is not an occupation that requires specialized professional skills, practice shows that it is often associated with a number of difficulties associated with the selection of colors and features of the pattern. Psychologists say that, depending on the pattern, wallpaper affects the human psyche in a certain way, and can both oppress and excite the mental potential of the owner of the room. To be convinced of this, it is enough to consider a simple example. From the point of view of designers, the less often the drawing is located in the space of the sheet and the greater the distance between its repeating elements, the less “annoying” it is. It seems that everything is quite simple, and from the above it follows that wallpaper with a large pattern is the most suitable option for finishing only spacious rooms with high ceilings. However, this is not the case, and to be sure of this, you need to familiarize yourself with the most popular design techniques used in the process of decorating a room. We will talk about this in this article..
Many design professionals choose not to overcomplicate a patterned wallpaper strategy that involves choosing wallpaper with bold and large prints. Only in this case, you will admire them for a long period of time, and they will not bother you for a long time, unlike wallpaper with a small pattern, which you will soon cease to notice. There are several main varieties of wallpaper with an ornament, the characteristics of which differ depending on the type of pattern applied:
Wallpaper with a plain pattern, or rather, with its absence, it is the most common option that can be used to decorate both the entire room and part of it. Their monochromatic surface is favorably combined with a contrasting border, which can be characterized by both the presence and absence of a pattern. But, despite the seeming simplicity of such wallpapers, they do not look boring, since in this case, the texture comes to the fore. For example, the texture of plain vinyl wallpaper can mimic a herringbone, matting, straw, or waves. In addition, the modern market offers paintable wallpaper, a distinctive feature of which is the initial absence of any pattern;
Important! Wallpaper devoid of a pronounced pattern (that is, speckled or with a very small ornament) are stylistically neutral and are also considered monochromatic. Due to their versatility, they are suitable for both modern and classic interiors. Solid color wallpaper is a cost-effective alternative to painted walls and helps to fill the space of the room with a never annoying, pleasant shade..
Wallpaper with abstract pattern. This type of wallpaper is usually canvases, which depict randomly arranged brush strokes, spots, dots or streaks. Due to the deliberately chaotic arrangement of the pattern on the wallpaper, they seem seamless and, as a result, adjacent stripes do not need to be joined together. Wallpaper with an abstract pattern, like any other type of wallpaper, can be either flat or embossed, in the latter case, acrylic spraying is used. The most appropriate wallpaper with an abstract pattern is in the framework of modern interiors, including those designed in a minimalist style. This type of wallpaper will attract those who appreciate the irregularity of the pattern;
Wallpaper with geometric patterns, represented by various geometric shapes, straight or wavy lines, which are arranged in such a way that the ornament sets a certain rhythm, attracting the attention of the beholder. Choosing wallpaper with a geometric pattern, you should be aware that they will fit most advantageously only in a neutral setting. Agree, it is almost impossible to imagine geometric walls that would be harmoniously combined with curtains decorated with large floral patterns. The most acceptable style for wallpaper with a geometric pattern is minimalism and other modern trends;
Striped wallpaper, in fact, they are a variation of the previous version, however, in view of the stylistic neutrality of the strip, “striped” wallpaper can become a beneficial addition not only to a modern, but also to a classic interior. The strip can be either vertical or horizontal, narrow or wide, and also be characterized by the alternation of narrow and wide elements on one canvas. The strip can be combined with a geometric or classic pattern;
Wallpaper with a classic pattern are canvases decorated with interwoven monograms that form a single ornament. Its fragments can be decorated with metallized spraying. The use of wallpaper with a classic pattern is quite limited, they will organically fit only into classic interiors along with furniture and draperies in a classic style;
Wallpaper with floral patterns, represented by the interweaving of stems, branches, leaves, as well as herbs and flowers, are an extremely popular variety of wall paintings. Their only drawback is the need to dock adjacent canvases, since plant fragments must be connected to each other. In most cases, wallpaper with a floral pattern is characterized by pastel colors, and therefore, they are the backdrop for a brighter environment and decorative elements. Wallpaper with a floral pattern is appropriate in almost any interior: wallpaper with a small flower is suitable for country style, while wallpaper with a larger floral pattern is a distinctive feature of the English classics;
Wallpaper with oriental pattern – a rather specific kind of wallpaper, appropriate only in ethnic interiors. The ornament on these wallpapers is represented by Arabic script, hieroglyphs, African animals or motifs from Persian carpets. In addition to ethnic interiors, wallpaper with oriental patterns can be used to decorate a modern interior, devoid of other decorative elements..
Consideration of recommendations for choosing wallpaper with a pattern is advisable to start with those that are relevant even at the stage of material procurement.
- The choice of material is primarily determined by the functions of the room in which you plan to carry out repair activities..
- If you want to renovate a living room or bedroom, which are not characterized by high humidity and wear and tear, you can use paper or non-woven wallpaper belonging to a low price category, thanks to which you get the opportunity to save on repairs;
Important! In these rooms, where the walls are not actively dirty or wiped off, you can also use textured foam vinyl wallpaper. Despite the fact that the material is washable, its mechanical strength leaves much to be desired, and therefore, it is better not to expose it to frequent washing..
- If you plan to carry out repairs in a hallway or a narrow corridor, pay attention to glass wallpaper, which is made of a material that is resistant to constant contact with moisture, clothing and other chemical and mechanical influences;
- In the process of renovation in a bathroom, toilet or kitchen, experts recommend using thick vinyl wallpaper, the surface of which is waterproof and smooth. Thanks to the indicated advantage, soot, grease splashes and water drips will be easy to remove with household detergents..
- In the process of decorating small rooms, experts recommend giving preference to either plain wallpaper in light shades, or neutral canvases decorated with small floral patterns. When decorating spacious rooms, you can use darker wallpapers with large patterns. If the room has low ceilings, use plain wallpaper or wallpaper with vertically aligned stripes. As for the ceiling, it should be lighter than the walls;
- If the room has high ceilings, you can opt for wallpaper with large patterns or horizontal stripes. In this case, the combination of wallpaper, which will be separated by a border, will be relevant. The ceiling can be one tone darker than the walls;
- For a low-light environment, there is also a solution that will optimize the space. To brighten the room, define the least-lit wall in the room and cover it with wallpaper in a lighter shade. It is advisable to give preference to wallpaper in warm colors. If the windows in the room face south, choose wallpaper in cool shades, such as green, gray or blue;
- If your plans include decorating a room with paintings or photographs, it is better not to use wallpaper with a large pattern and give preference to plain wallpaper in neutral shades, or wallpaper with an unobtrusive small ornament;
- Using wallpaper in the process of decorating a room, it is important to remember that wallpaper with a large pattern contributes to a visual decrease in space, while a small and rather rare pattern on the wallpaper visually expands the space of the room;
- The color and size of the pattern on the wallpaper are of no small importance in the overall stylistic concept of the interior. The more contrasting the shade of the wallpaper and the larger the pattern depicted on them, the more expressive the wall covering is, the use of which is relevant where the walls are given dominant importance. These include spacious rooms with ample natural light;
- The difference in the colors of the background and the pattern are also important. The smaller the difference between these two shades, the less catchy large objects are, which makes it possible to use such wallpapers even in small rooms;
- If in the process of decorating a room you give preference to pastel shades, you will minimize the risk of color overload and intrusive variegation of the interior;
- The effect created indoors depends entirely on the nature of the pattern. They can be briefly characterized as follows:
- In the case of choosing “striped” wallpaper, you need to pay attention to the width of the strip. To draw attention away from the walls, you can resort to alternating narrow and wide stripes, which will make the interior more calm. It is important to remember that when using wallpaper with vertically oriented stripes, the ceiling height visually increases, and when using horizontal stripes, the space of the room visually expands;
- The use of wallpaper with a large pattern in the interior must also be carried out with the utmost care, as it contributes to creating a new accent in the room and attracting additional attention to the walls. Moreover, a large drawing that attracts attention helps to visually reduce the free area of the room;
- An interesting option offered by the designers is the alternation of wallpaper with large and small patterns, while the wallpaper with a large pattern is glued through two canvases with small objects. Wallpapers with small patterns can be replaced with plain ones. Thanks to this technique, you can give the room a new, original flavor;
- Another original option involves pasting wallpaper with a large pattern on one of the walls and creating an accent, while the rest of the walls are left plain, or pasted over with neutral wallpaper with a small pattern. Focusing attention on one of the areas will give the room some geometry;
- The option with large geometric patterns also deserves the attention of designers and is considered one of the most modern ways to decorate a living space. It involves the use of wallpaper with geometric patterns: from a variety of straight and curved lines, circles or squares, as well as other geometric objects. Another original option is a combination of geometric objects with abstract or floral motifs;
- If you want to focus on a particular area of the room, decorate it with wallpaper with an abstract pattern in the form of a stylized lattice or abstract weaves. Using this technique, you get the opportunity to shift the emphasis where, in your opinion, it is especially necessary, and also give the stylistic concept a special mood..
Having reached the stage of buying wallpaper, every home craftsman is faced with the question: “How to calculate the required number of rolls, knowing the dimensions of the room? The answer will depend on whether a pattern fit is required or not..
- The simplest is the first option, when there is no need to adjust the pattern (such situations arise when you give preference to wallpaper with vertical stripes, which the maximum that requires is the adjustment of stripes within a few centimeters). To calculate the required number of rolls, in this case it is necessary:
- Divide the perimeter of the room by the width of the roll and round the result up;
- Divide the length of the roll by the height of the room. At the same time, the ceiling and floor skirting boards will hide the slight displacement of the strips relative to each other;
- To get the final result, the first obtained value must be divided by the second..
- Consider a simple example: if the perimeter of the room is 30.4 m and the roll width is 53 cm, the required number of working blades will be 30.4 / 0.53 = 58 (taking into account rounding). Considering that the ceiling height is 2.5 m and the length of a standard roll of wallpaper is 10 m, one roll is enough for 4 strips. Initially, the required number of canvases is 58 pieces, the indicated number is divided by the number of strips that can be obtained from one roll and we get 58/4 = 15 (taking into account rounding up.
In this case, it is necessary to make some adjustments to the calculations, which is based on the fact that the length of the strip will be equal not to the height of the room, but to the step of the drawing. For example, if the step of the picture is 38 cm, the length of the strip will not be 2.5 m, as in the first case, but 2.66 (0.38 * 7). In this case, the length of the roll is enough for the production of three strips. In this regard, 58/3 = 20 (taking into account rounding up) rolls will be required.
Important! When evaluating purchases, experts do not recommend taking into account the presence of door and window poems, since in most cases they do not reduce the whole number of canvases, and therefore the number of rolls, but often only increase it, since adjacent canvases have to be cut on the spot..
If you have new porous walls, treat them with a primer a day before gluing the wallpaper with or without pattern selection. This manipulation will protect the wall and prevent damage while removing the wallpaper. If your home has painted walls, wash them with a special detergent and then rinse them with water. If paint remains on the wall surface, sand the wall surface with sanding paper. Preparing walls previously covered with wallpaper consists in removing them from the wall. If this process is difficult, wet the wall surface with water or treat it with a specialized compound, and then proceed to remove the wallpaper again..
Important! For leveling walls in an apartment or priming, choose a water-based compound that is most suitable for use in a residential environment..
- Answering the question: “How to properly glue wallpaper with a pattern?”, We note that, despite the fact that this process is not difficult, it takes a lot of time, and therefore needs a responsible approach to its implementation.
- First of all, you need to make sure that the batch numbers, images and colors of the rolls are identical. If you have prepared the surface and checked the identity of the material, you can proceed to pasting the surface..
- First of all, prepare the glue, which should be well mixed. You can use regular or specialized adhesives. Next, measure the wall and measure the same length on the roll of wallpaper, adding 7-10 cm to the stock. Draw a straight line and cut the first blade along it. If the wallpaper you have chosen does not need to fit the pattern, the lengths of all canvases will be the same, so they can be prepared in advance. If you have selected a patterned wallpaper that needs a fit, cut several strips, alternately applying them to the first strip. Next, you need to cut off the wallpaper as work progresses in order to avoid mistakes..
Important! Wallpapering must be done from the lightest side – from the window and continue counterclockwise towards the same window.
- Using a vertical plumb line, draw a straight line on the wall 50 cm from the window. Lay the canvases on the table with the pattern down and, having prepared the glue in advance, use a brush to apply the glue to half of the strip, moving from the center to the periphery. After that, fold the canvas in half without pressing down on the fold. Next, apply glue to the second half of the wallpaper and, depending on the thickness of the wallpaper, leave it for 5-10 minutes (for paper wallpapers – 5 minutes, duplex wallpapers – 5-10 minutes, vinyl – 8-10 minutes).
- Attach the upper half of the canvas to the wall, and leave the other half folded in half. Then align with the drawn line and leave 5 cm in stock. If bubbles appear, gently pierce them with a needle and smooth them out..
- Press the canvas against the wall and, squeezing out the air, smooth them from the center to the periphery using a roller or brush.
- Next, proceed to leveling the second strip: unfold it and carefully smooth it.
- Glue the rest of the canvases in the same way. If you make a mistake, peel off the canvases and stick back until the glue has finally set..
- At the end of the work, smooth the joints with a roller or dry sponge.
How to glue wallpaper with a video pattern