Laying tiles in a bathroom or kitchen is an integral stage of a major overhaul, which each person encounters no more than one or two times during the entire period of living in an apartment. In this regard, the master must be aware of the entire burden of responsibility placed on his shoulders, and treat each stage of the repair with the utmost care, thinking over every little thing. Laying ceramic tiles is considered one of the most difficult types of renovation and finishing work, in the process of which it is also important to pay attention to detail. It would seem that having laid the tiles, it’s time to relax, but at this stage, most masters are just beginning to think about the question: “How to choose a grout by color?”, And loss of vigilance at this moment can lead to irreparable consequences. When choosing a grout for a tile, it is important not only to know its composition, but also to determine its color, which will give the wall a complete and harmonious look, and the composition – integrity. In addition, it is important to take into account many factors – the microclimate in the room, the moisture resistance of the composition, as well as its resistance to fungal and mold lesions. Based on this, it becomes clear that the correct selection of grout for tiles is a rather complex process, the results of which largely determine the decorativeness of the surface being trimmed and the integrity of its perception. To make this easier, in this article we will look at the main types of grout, and advice from professionals on choosing a grout color will help you make the right choice..
If earlier only cement mortar was used to seal the joints between the tiles, today the construction market offers consumers a large number of different grouting compositions that not only reliably mask the gaps between the tiles, forming an airtight coating, but also transform the appearance of the base material..
Tile grout is a homogeneous mixture, dry or diluted to a pasty state, for the manufacture of which polymers are used, as well as white or gray cement. There are certain features of the production of this or that group of grouting mixtures – some of them are made only in white and gray colors, and tint dyes are added to them only before starting work, others are produced in ready-made color options.
What is tile grout for??
When filling the tile joint, the tile grout protects the joints from moisture and dirt penetration into them, and thereby prevents the destruction of the adhesive composition. Due to this, moisture is not absorbed into the wall, and the likelihood of mold and mildew formation on it is minimized;
Using a tile grout that matches the tile, you can hide defects in the cladding, for example, uneven joints and chips;
Tile grout allows you to combine disparate tile elements into a single picture, and, acting as the final touch, gives it a sense of completeness;
If you are not a connoisseur of pastel colors in the interior and want to give it expressiveness, use a grout for tiles in contrasting shades with it. Thanks to this technique, you will emphasize the geometry of the picture, making it deeper and more saturated;
Using a tile grout, you can combine disparate interior elements and thereby create a coherent composition, which is especially important if various pieces of furniture and cladding “argue” with tiles of contrasting color.
Before talking about how to choose a grout for tiles in the kitchen, we will consider the main types of grout, taking into account their composition. Depending on the composition, the following groups of grout for tile joints are distinguished:
Cement-based grout, the composition of which may differ slightly depending on the inclusion of one or another component (modifying, polymer additives), is the most common option on the construction market. Despite the slight differences in composition, they can be used when working with tiles of different colors and qualities. As a basis for cement grout, both a cement-sand mixture and a special type of cement – Portland cement can be used. Disadvantages of cement-based grouts – limited color gamut, most often represented by shades of white and gray, and low resistance to moisture;
Grout based on epoxy resins, a distinctive feature of which is the presence of a hardener in the composition, which ensures long-term preservation of the grout color. Due to the fact that the application of epoxy grout requires certain skills and experience, they are rarely used in the process of repairing typical apartments;
A grout in the form of a silicone sealant, characterized by ease of use and a variety of colors, so you can easily choose a grout for tiles of any color and texture. This grout is resistant to high humidity, as well as mold and other fungal infections, due to the presence of antifungal components in the grout..
Important! Experts do not recommend using silicone sealant as a grout, since the latter, in contact with moisture during operation, turns yellow, and also gives significant shrinkage. If you still prefer a sealant as a grout, choose polyurethane compounds, but remember that they do not differ in a variety of colors and are available in the main monochrome range..
Correctly chosen grout color directly determines the appearance of the room, for the decoration of which ceramic tiles are used, its integrity and visual perception. There are a number of rules that must be followed in the process of choosing a grout..
To facilitate the process of choosing a grout, the designers divided all the possible effects created in the process of combining tiles and grout into several groups. By giving preference to one or another visual effect, you will facilitate the process of choosing a grout and creating an interior concept..
Let’s consider each of the three options for the effects that can be created by choosing the right color options for grout..
- Simulation of a single surface – a technique, the implementation of which is possible provided that the grout is selected in the same color as the ceramic tile. By giving preference to this effect, you can visually expand the room, which will be especially relevant for small bathrooms in standard apartments;
- Selecting tile elements using grout in a contrasting color – a technique involving the use of a grout mixture in a contrasting shade with the tile. This technique is considered one of the most effective, especially in cases where tiles of bright colors or irregular shapes are used, which can be emphasized by giving preference to contrasting grout colors;
- Selection of a grouting mixture to match one of the tile shades – a technique thanks to which you can not only create a holistic composition, but also unobtrusively indicate the geometry and shade of the tiles. Adopting this effect, you will create a calm atmosphere in the room, devoid of unnecessary expressiveness..
Experts with extensive experience in interior design share some of the nuances and secrets, thanks to which you can achieve the desired effect in the interior..
Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Using light colors of tiles and grout, you can visually expand the room;
- By giving preference to dark tiles and grout of the same color, you can unite the room, however, using dark tones in the interior of the room will help to visually reduce it;
- Using light colored tiles in conjunction with grouting in a contrasting dark shade will divide the wall into separate segments. This is an original effect that will perfectly complement certain areas of the interior;
- If, in the process of finishing a small room, you use tiles whose colors include several shades, choose a grout whose color is close to the lightest shade in the tile ornament;
- If you use mosaic tiles to decorate walls or horizontal surfaces, give preference to grouting in soothing shades, for example, beige or light gray;
- Among the colored grouts, the most versatile is the white one. Thanks to this property, it can emphasize or mask the borders between tiled elements. However, experts do not recommend using white grout for finishing the floor, as it will soon lose its original appearance and acquire a not beautiful dirty gray shade. To avoid this, for finishing horizontal surfaces, use a grout to match the tile or a shade that is closest to the color of the tile;
- In the process of finishing small rooms, experts recommend not to use more than three shades of tiles, and therefore grouting mixtures. Otherwise, the color scheme of the room will be chaotic and scattered, which will make the room visually cramped..
- When we choose the color of grout in the bathroom, we often try to choose a shade that is as close as possible to the color of the tile, however today, a wide variety of color solutions for tiles and grout adds other, often contrasting color combinations to the designer’s arsenal..
Important! Today, manufacturers present collections of tiles, for which color solutions have already been selected for grouting. As a rule, these color combinations are as original as possible: black tiles are complemented with pearl white grout, beige with milk chocolate or cocoa-colored grout, olive with graphite grout, and gray with mahogany-colored grout.
If earlier the presence of good taste could be demonstrated by picking up a grout of neutral shades, today the situation is the opposite, and experts recommend using a grout in bright colors – red, green, orange, turquoise, etc. shades for finishing the bathroom. This advice will be especially relevant if you have chosen white tiles, since all colors are combined with it. However, if you combine white tiles with brightly colored grout, try to choose it in such a way that it matches the color of furniture or other interior elements as much as possible..
Contrary to popular belief, white grout is not universal. Despite the fact that it is in harmony with material of any color, together with tiles of dark shades, it forms contrasting combinations that do not fit into the framework of classic interior concepts.
The modern construction market offers an alternative to white grout – a colorless grout made on the basis of epoxy resin with the addition of glass. The versatility of the grout is ensured by its light-absorbing characteristics, due to which it becomes colorless. It is often referred to as a “chameleon” due to its ability to adapt to the color of ceramic tiles..
Important! Colorless grout is a versatile material, produced taking into account innovative technologies. It is highly wear resistant, easy to apply and also easy to clean. Chameleon grout is characterized by resistance to mechanical and chemical influences, high resistance to mold and other fungal infections.
Colorless grout is indispensable when working with various types of glass mosaics and in the process of creating tiled panels.
Often, even in large building supermarkets, it is not always possible to find a grout of the desired shade, since a modern manufacturer does not cover the entire color palette. If you could not find the grout of the desired color, do not rush to abandon your original decision and choose a different shade. You can solve the problem by choosing a color scheme of a suitable shade..
In this case, you have the following options in stock:
- Using a special tinting paste;
- Purchase of a conventional water-soluble color scheme;
- Use as a tinting color gouache or watercolor.
By using any of these ingredients, you can paint the white grout any color you want or make the grout more intense..
Important! If you are planning to tint the grout, remember two important nuances:
- Try to color the grout in one day. Otherwise, the grout will dry out, and you are unlikely to be able to pick up the desired shade the next day;
- Remember that after drying, the grout becomes lighter, and therefore, it is necessary to use a color scheme several shades darker than planned.
Experienced craftsmen know that even after applying a color sample of grout to a tile, it is difficult to imagine how they will look together on the surface. In this regard, before proceeding with the surface finishing, study the photos of the interiors, illustrating typical combinations..
Using multiple colors of grout
The example illustrates the use of two colors of grout – white and red. This option will be relevant if you use tiles of several contrasting shades, and to create a single plane and a harmonious transition between shades, you need to choose a grout to match the tile..
The surface, for the decoration of which a plain tile was used, looks like a single plane, and only the presence of a slight relief makes it possible to distinguish individual segments in it. The effect of a single plane is achieved through the use of grout, the tone of which is ideally matched to the color of the tile. However, the ideal fusion of materials depends not only on the color, but also on the composition of the grout used. For example, the surface of epoxy grout, after curing, has noticeable similarities to the glazed surface of ceramic tiles..
To harmonize the transition from white to colored segments, a white grout is used, which emphasizes the contrast between light and dark shades..
Thanks to this technique, the interior looks thought out to the smallest detail. For example, a tile with a photo pattern, located between the white and red tiles, has shades in its color scheme that are similar to the colors of the surrounding tile. Due to this, despite the abundance of color shades, the composition retains its integrity and original appearance..
Using a grout similar in tone to the tile
If you do not plan to add expressive notes to the interior, and, on the contrary, want your eyes to rest when looking at surfaces of calm shades, give preference to this option. Thanks to this technique, the wall covering will also look uniform, and, at the same time, the joints between the tiles will emphasize the origin of the material..
Selection of grout and tiles of the same shades
This option will be most preferable if you plan to create the most uniform plane. The proposed option below illustrates how you can combine the individual planes that divide the wall surface into two parts – the upper decorative and the lower panel.
The division of the wall was made with the help of a border tape, the pattern of which includes bright blotches. Despite the fact that they are radically different from the main color scheme, they are designed to revive the interior and create a holistic composition. To exclude possible randomness and fragmentation of the plane, it is necessary to use a grout, the tone of which is as close as possible to the tone of the tile..
Using grout and tiles in contrasting shades
This section presents two options for the selection of contrast materials. The first one is classic and involves a combination of black and white colors. Thanks to this combination, a cold and restrained interior is created, which does not always find its admirers due to its excessive severity..
The following example also illustrates a contrasting but more cheerful color combination. A contrasting white grout adds freshness to the room, decorated with ultramarine-colored tiles. This combination is ideal for decorating a bathroom and creating an optimistic mood..
Choosing a tile grout video