It turns out that nothing inconspicuous moss is a very unusual and original plant. Since ancient times, it serves as a “compass” for travelers, is used to insulate a house, and protects the earth from erosion. In addition, he will cure an ailment and become an aromatherapist. Once upon a time, moss was even eaten! Therefore, it is not surprising that today moss is widely used in landscape design..
One of the main misconceptions of contemporaries is that all mossy plants are mistaken for moss, although there is a biological difference. Mosses belong to the class of lower leafy plants. Their body has no vessels and is divided into leaves and stems. There are no roots, their functions are performed by filamentous outgrowths that absorb water. An exception is peat moss, which is called “sphagnum”, which has no analogues of roots.
Moss was first used in landscape design by the inhabitants of Japan. And the very first moss gardens were laid out at the monastery. After all, the monks believed that such an environment gives the garden beauty, and gives those who stay there a sense of peace. The most striking of them is the Saihoji moss garden, where nearly 130 different species of mosses live, as well as their constant companions – lichens..
Summer residents today, as a rule, plant moss in order to cover free areas and as an alternative to an ordinary lawn. Often in the gardens you can see large stones in rockeries, rutaria and rock gardens, completely covered with moss.
Moss thickets on the site can give the territory a new image. An evergreen carpet will become an invaluable garden decoration in early spring, when trees and flowers have not yet woken up. It looks amazing in late autumn, when the latest plants have already prepared for winter sleep. In addition, the mossy coating protects the roots of shrubs and trees from drying out and overheating..
In their decorativeness, representatives of bryophytes are able to compete with the most beautiful flowers! Depending on the species, there are mosses with an original crown, those that have multi-colored leaves or graceful fruits – spore-bearing capsules. In addition, if the moss has taken root on the site, then this indicates the ecological purity of your area. Only in such conditions is active growth of moss observed..
If you have sculptures, garden figures, fountains, vases on your site, you can also decorate them with moss. However, they should all be in the shade. The surface for planting the moss should be rough, which can be achieved with an abrasive. Garden design looks great, decorated in a retro style, moss is able to visually age objects.
Moss is used to decorate the facades of buildings and roofs of houses. This will help give the place some extra coolness. In addition, it is good to fill the gaps that arise between the tiles on garden paths with moss. Mosses are also used for picturesque framing of paths and paths. With the help of garden moss, you can decorate a pond, because this plant simply cannot live without moisture..
It is customary to start creating a moss garden on a site with the preparation and collection of material. When harvesting moss, it will be useful for you to follow these tips:
When laying out a Japanese moss garden, be sure to follow the guidelines below:
- Remember that moss likes to grow in the shade. Dry land and scorching sun throughout the day will be detrimental to the plant..
- But a little morning sun will not be superfluous. This will make the color of the mossy cover more saturated. A good place for planting moss pads is under trees that do not have a very dense and dense crown..
- The most successful cardinal points will be west and north. By the way, in the impenetrable taiga, moss grows precisely from the north side on the bark of trees. Consider this when choosing a place for your lawn..
- Moss prefers wet and swampy areas. The soil should, if possible, have an acidic reaction: the pH is about 5-6, but not more than 6.5. After that, you can plant moss..
After preparing the material, it’s time to start planting moss, which should be done according to the following instructions:
Mossy stones are appropriate in rockeries and rock gardens. Choose rough stones for growing these plants, with a rough surface. Place them in a little shade. To preserve the appearance of a mossy stone (the presence of a soft “carpet” on a hard surface), do not assume that it is completely overgrown with moss. Maintain a 1 to 1 balance.
To grow moss on rocks, use one of these recipes:
- Place healthy moss pads in a blender, add a little water and stir. Then add some forest soil to the resulting “chatterbox”. Now you can coat the stone with this mixture. Do not forget to cover it with a film on top, which is recommended to be removed from time to time for airing..
- Mix healthy moss pads with sugar (2 tsp) and kefir (half a cup), grind in a blender, add a little water. Apply the prepared mixture to the desired surfaces. Also use a film to cover the surface while the moss grows. Do not forget to put geotextiles under the stones, which have a dark color. Then no weeds will crawl through them.
Moss graffiti is considered a fashionable and chic trend in landscape design. For moss graffiti, prepare a special paint. To do this, take the following ingredients: a handful of moss pads, 2 glasses of yogurt, 1 glass of beer or water, ½ tsp Sahara. Add corn syrup as needed. Stir in a blender until the mixture is like a paint. It should not drip heavily from the brush. With the help of such a composition, it will turn out to make any inscription on the walls, wooden or concrete surface..
After arranging a moss garden, it is imperative to take care of it, because the aesthetics of your mossy lawn will depend on your care:
Thus, moss is a beautiful and useful plant on the site. A moss garden is very profitable as it does not require financial investments. Moss can be found in the forest or a nearby park. Take the stones from the river. Forest plants, berry bushes and conifers can be planted in the background. And to appreciate all the beauty of such a lawn is best in the off-season, since the mossy cover is evergreen..