Without the final stage of painting the facade, whatever the architectural concept, the building looks imperfect. The prepared facade of the house for painting is brought to the final stage, when the layer of finishing plaster has dried and the color scheme has been selected. Painting works are carried out before the onset of frost, which will contribute to the conservation of the plastered walls. The renewed facade will protect the house from adverse external influences, significantly transform and renew it. We offer the secrets of technology and examples of painting the facade of a private house to use them to renovate your estate or complete construction.
Table of contents:
Any facade paint is specially designed for facade cladding, but the surface to be painted needs careful preparation. If the wall of the house is crumbling or has defects, it must be:
- impregnated with antifungal composition.
Not all materials from which external walls are erected in private houses require plastering and painting. However, this may be a deliberate choice if the entire architectural ensemble of the estate must be maintained in a common style and color scheme. Exterior walls are most often made from the following materials:
- wood (log house);
- reinforced concrete panels;
- shell rock;
- cinder block;
- cast slag concrete, etc..
For each material, a certain type of paintwork is selected, which are produced on a different basis.
Exterior finishing and painting are not needed for all surfaces, for example, facing bricks with high decorative properties do not require additional painting. The choice of facade paint depends on the material of the walls. Today, such external surfaces are quite common:
- textured and decorative plaster;
- wild stone;
- aluminum glazing;
- metal-plastic cladding panels;
- blocks made of composite materials, etc..
Attention: Equipment for painting facades depends on the complexity of painting and number of storeys. In private houses up to the 2nd floor, a stepladder and a ladder are used, and mounting cradles or equipment for industrial mountaineering are needed for processing and painting. In such cases, they turn to specialized companies that paint the facade of an apartment building…
The prepared facade is the surface:
- without dents and bumps;
- without crumbling finishing materials;
- smooth and dry;
- primed wall and adjacent surfaces.
Tip: When choosing a material for the facade of a house for painting, it is important to be guided not by your own preferences, but by general recommendations on technology in order to:
- extend the life of the coating;
- eliminate bald spots and sloughing;
- washing off the paint under slanting showers;
- cracking from temperature extremes.
Attention: On combined surfaces where various building materials were used in the facade decoration, it is often difficult to choose a universal dye that is most suitable for a high-quality coating of all textures. Then you have to seek advice from specialists who must go to the site and give recommendations on the spot. Phone tips won’t work here.!
Often, even the most daring experimenters are not always ready to radically change the facade of a house, although the modern color palette of painting the facade of a house is impressive. If you set aside your conservatism and prejudices about perfect design and look at the illustrations, it is obvious that a black or red house is also beautiful in its own way! For example, painting the facade of a house, photo:
How to choose the right base color and its companions? Take into account the simple advice of experts:
1. When painting houses and facades, the color combination should be in harmony with the landscape design and the decoration of the courtyard at any time of the year. The same shade looks different in winter and summer, on the shaded north side and the south wall exposed to direct sunlight. Lush vegetation often contrasts with the facade of the house, but a green house looks ridiculous on a snow-covered plain..
2. Pay attention to the color of the roof when painting the facade of a private house. It is also easy to repaint it, if necessary, and the roofing material is suitable for these purposes. If a new roof awaits the house, then it is better to match its shade to the color of the renovated facade. It is better if the tone of the roof is darker, but in harmony with the overall finish.
3. The stylistics of architecture is also important to consider, since the classics do not tolerate extremes and liberties.
4. The shade of the walls should maximally emphasize the natural texture of wild stone or decorative plaster. The white and cream finishes are in harmony with the white railings and window frames. Dark colors should work well with the wild stone of the foundation, wooden door or plank deck.
5. The beauty of a smooth facade is in the detailing, and a little contrasting finish never hurts, especially if the building is large.
6. Do not unnecessarily experiment with painting individual wall fragments when painting the facade of a house with your own hands, but it is quite appropriate to highlight:
- separate structural details;
- stucco molding;
- decor elements;
- columns or supports;
- arched fragments;
- front door, etc..
7. It is undesirable to use many shades or colors, it can look ridiculous. Classic combination – 3 colors, where the lightest or darkest background, the rest complement the range. Also, a lot depends on the proportions of color, they can lighten or make the structure heavier..
Tip: You can check the combination of shades on a preliminary sketch – take a picture of the house and try 3-4 options for painting the facade of the house. It is like a child’s “coloring”. There are also special computer programs where you can play with color. This is the most stable and safest experiment..
For facade decoration, organic and inorganic dyes are used, which have a different structure and chemical composition. It all depends on what surface they are intended for:
- mineral paints for painting the facade of a house fit well on a concrete wall or brickwork;
- the modified silicone base will revitalize and strengthen the old facade;
- acrylic paint is suitable for concrete products and decorative plaster;
- for structures made of wood and metal, universal paints on a resinous basis are selected.
Each paint has its own properties, and some are washed out under the oblique rays of showers, others fade over time in the sun. The thermoplastic base softens from overheating, and on some surfaces painted with dispersion paint, moss or fungus takes root well on the north side. And silicate ash paint is very reliable, but toxic when working with it.
Lime-based and silicate-based paint has good vapor permeability, that is, it breathes, absorbing and releasing moisture. Other dyes create an elastic glossy film that is impervious to water. But the walls will soften from direct sunlight, the paint sticks and collects dust on its surface, which is difficult to remove later..
Attention: Modern organosilicon compounds with high vapor permeability repel water, do not wash out under the influence of unfavorable weather factors. They do not form pollution, which is very important when the wall of the house is located along the carriageway of the street..
When starting to paint the facade of a house with your own hands, an ignorant beginner rarely realizes the scale of the undertaking. Lack of knowledge on the technology of painting walls, lack of convenient tools and devices for moving along the wall, limited budget and lack of experience create difficulties and lead to mistakes. Because of this, the need for new costs arises, instead of saving on self-performed work.
Attention: Do not rush to complete the work if something fails on one wall. It is much easier to draw the right conclusions or correct mistakes on a small fragment of the facade than to repaint the entire building..
Painting the exterior walls requires compliance with all technological standards and stage-by-stage implementation. If facade work is carried out on a prepared wall, after the end of a season favorable for repair work, in frosty weather or during a downpour, the result will not be what was expected.
Water is a factor that cannot be ignored. It can damage the foundation or basement painted on the outside. A house that does not have a well-thought-out storm runoff will undergo a kind of waterproofing and waterproofing test after each heavy rain. The service life of facade paint on such walls can be halved..
A poorly prepared base is another point that is often overlooked by “masters” who are ignorant of painting external walls. Depending on the region, groundwater and precipitation can have different levels of acidity. This is also important to consider when choosing a primer paint. It is difficult to check the acid-alkaline environment of the wall, but when water corrodes the facade, it is noticeable. The walls of such houses have to be additionally impregnated and strengthened..
Attention: Any paint ideally fits only on the primer! Some paints for painting the facade of the house are applied in 1 layer, but 2 while standing looks better. In this case, the layers should be of different consistency, the 2nd is better to be made a little thinner, eliminating bald spots and thick smears.
Before applying the primer, it is important to prepare the wall:
- clean from old paint, grease stains, soot and dust;
- wash off streaks, dirt and splashes;
- remove rust stains;
- putty nail marks and minor defects;
- complete the work on plastering the walls;
- let the facade dry well.
Tip: Most dirt can be easily removed from the facade surface with a wire brush and a small spatula. Sometimes it makes sense to blow a crumbling surface with compressed air, and then plaster with a finishing or textured plaster.
Too smooth surface of the walls before applying the primer is rubbed with an emery cloth – in a circular motion. Some primers contain fine-grained sand or other slurry to promote better adhesion. On such a vertical surface, the paint is well distributed and evenly lays down, and not just drips, as it happens with a perfectly smooth base.
If the plaster has fallen off in places, it is worth checking all the walls for integrity – tapping with a wooden mallet. Those places where there are internal cracks and swelling from the fungus will surely fall off, sometimes with whole walls. Do not regret it – it would have happened a little later, but after painting. These places will have to be plastered or repaired (clay, cement mortar).
Golden rule: The more thoroughly the preliminary preparation of the walls, the better the painting of the facade!
The prepared and primed surface can be painted:
- special painting spray;
- household spray bottle;
- a vacuum cleaner (if you have a special kit for painting walls);
- universal industrial machine for outdoor use;
- paint roller and wide brush.
Most dyes are produced in special containers of white or cream color, where the coloring pigment is added and mixed well. Before preparing the paint, it is important to study the instructions, where it is indicated, you need to add a solvent, and in what proportion the pigment is added.
Attention: The proportion of pigment and base is very important to observe when adding new portions of paint to the case!
Facade work must be carried out in a respirator and protective work clothing. Hands and feet must also be protected. It is equally important to consider moving along the walls and belaying so as not to fall and not get injured. It is very convenient to work together with a handyman who supplies paint and tools, moves the ladder, cradle, winch and other devices to move along the walls. You will find many useful tips here – painting the facades of houses, video: