No matter how hard the masters try to ideally install the plumbing close to the wall, there are still gaps and irregularities at the junction with the tile, even when the tiles have been laid according to all the rules. And even if the gap is of the minimum size, it is still not desirable that water from the bathtub or washbasin is poured into the gap, creating ideal conditions for dampness, mold and mildew. With a minimum gap, the sealing is done with silicone, but these measures often form irregularities, where dirt and mold are deposited over time, and the bathroom does not look aesthetically pleasing. To prevent these troubles, we came up with a special curb tape for the bathroom..
Table of contents:
The high performance of something as simple as a bathtub strip is due to its purposeful functionality. The device was thought out to the smallest detail so that it would not let water through, no fungus would start at the junction, and the tape itself would have a great look, but at the same time it was also easily attached and removed after the entire operational period..
The tape has a thickness of up to 2 mm and is produced in hermetically sealed rolls up to 3.35 m, so the remnants of the tape after sealing the joint with the bathroom and washbasin tiles are successfully “attached” in other places. It is suitable for bathrooms and kitchens, therefore it is successfully used for processing and decorating the joint:
- shower cabins and pallets;
- kitchen equipment.
Adhesive is applied over the entire surface of the curb tape to prevent peeling at any length. The curb tape is produced not only for sealing the bathtub, but also for other construction purposes, so if you need to buy a curb tape for the bathroom, specify the purpose.
Bathroom tape is produced by a number of domestic and foreign manufacturers, and it is almost the same, since the same raw materials are used in the manufacture, that is, butyl glue. The tape is a multicomponent material based on a synthetic polymer, which includes:
- polyolefin and synthetic rubber;
- anti-adhesive film;
- glue base (butyl, etc.);
- fungicides against mold and mildew.
An important component of the tape is special fungicides that prevent the development of fungal microflora (green, gray and black mold, candida mushrooms, etc.) dark streaks appear. Although the tape is a temporary sealant, it can be successfully replaced many times after its warranty period. The material of the border does not swell or crack from excess / lack of moisture, maintaining elasticity until the end of use.
The tape has several forms of release, and for high-quality application of the tape around the corner, a special applicator is offered, which allows you to most accurately lay the border to get a right angle. To best match the overall design of a bathroom or bathroom, the border tape is available in different colors:
Self-adhesive bathroom curb tape is the easiest way to renovate your hygiene room after cleaning mold and doing a little redecoration of the bathroom. If it is not possible to replace the old equipment and change the overall design, it is enough to clean everything and seal the joints and seams in the bathroom. When it is necessary to quickly put things in order, it is enough, after cleaning all surfaces with active substances, to tape the joints of the bath with tape – this is a guarantee of accuracy and cleanliness.
The joint of a bathroom with a tile or other wall covering is carried out in different ways:
1. Silicone treatment of small gaps (up to 2 mm), but this option is not suitable for sealing large gaps..
2. Sealing the gap between the bathroom and the wall with acrylic, polymer borders, PVC and other materials is a good way, but it does not protect against mold and mildew.
3. A special ceramic border, which is used not only for the plinth of bathrooms, but also for decorating the seam in the bathroom, especially when the seam is large. It is also an effective option, but it is usually “planted” on cement, like ceramic tiles, which peep out at the junction with the bathtub, requiring additional sealing.
4. Curb made of porcelain stoneware, “wild stone” and other building materials that are not intended for this purpose. Maybe, in general, it looks good, but it has the same drawback – not aesthetic seams and a favorable environment for “dirty streaks” of mold in the junction with the bathroom.
Joint processing examples – bathroom curb tape video.
The curb tape is designed to seal the joint between sanitary ware and wall finishing materials in the bathroom. It is the most affordable material that can be applied quickly and independently. An important advantage – the curb tape for the bathroom, the price is quite acceptable for the result that guarantees cleanliness and sealing for a while. Main advantages:
- attractive appearance of the bathroom;
- good masking of high-quality joints and seams;
- preventing the formation of mold and mildew;
- use in bathrooms with high humidity levels;
- sealing the joints of plumbing products in any room;
- resistance to temperature extremes;
- the tape does not wrinkle and perfectly transfers loads;
- resistance to damage and shock;
- has an optimal ratio of flexibility / stiffness;
- high plasticity of the tape makes it possible to bend when laying at an angle;
- has sufficient resistance to peeling and delamination after cuts;
- subject to the installation technology, it guarantees reliable sealing;
- the simplest self-assembly;
- sufficient plasticity, allowing the tape to be laid on curved and rounded joints;
- low cost with high quality of the product;
- does not deform under loads;
- resistance to chemicals when cleaning the bath;
- resistance to damage and full adherence to slippery surfaces.
But it is not out of place to name the disadvantages of self-adhesive border tape for the bathroom:
1. Poorly tolerates contact with acidic silicones and polyurethane foam, from which it can warp. Also, the acidic environment contributes to the peeling of the tape from the contact surface, which is important to consider when using a flexible border.
2. The relative fragility of an elastic finishing material relative to hard surfaces. For example, porcelain stoneware, plastic or ceramics in curb products is designed for 1-2 decades, the tape is replaced after 1-3 years, depending on the total load during operation.
3. Tape-border is a fairly inexpensive and effective tool, but a temporary finishing material, the warranty period of which covers about a year, then the used section is replaced with a new one. But when an unused fragment of the tape remains, then, with proper storage, it can be used after replacing the first fragment.
Curb tape does not have as many options as other finishing materials, but still they are.
1. The tape has a 3-strip and 2-strip base with a fold line between them, forming a different border during installation.
2. The width differs, and you should not use more than the size of the bathroom suggests, since the surplus also gives an untidy look or the necessary image, which usually comes out sloppy. Standard: 29.40 mm and 60 mm for a length of more than 3 m, and this is enough for gluing a bath from 3 sides.
3. Color variations, and if the main standard is white and, less often, blue border tape for the bathroom, then other shades can be ordered from the catalog from manufacturers or on building materials websites, if the desired color is not available in the nearest building supermarket.
Do not confuse flexible bathroom curbs and roofing tape – check with a specialist at the time of purchase.
1. Preparatory stage of work:
- clean all surfaces as much as possible from all contamination;
- treat with an antifungal composition or rinse with vinegar solution and wash the place where the tape is glued several times so that there is no acid residue;
- checking the quality of the junction of the bath with the finishing material of the walls to remove the remains of cement and dust;
- seal the seam, if there is a noticeable gap, for example, with tile adhesive, the dense base already delays the penetration of water;
- the glue line can be treated with a primer;
- dry all surfaces, if necessary faster – you can use a hairdryer, since the border tape will only stick to perfectly dry surfaces.
2. Important conditions for proper installation:
- the more correctly the border tape will be fixed initially, the longer it will last, while maintaining high aesthetic characteristics;
- it is undesirable to work at low temperatures, the bathroom should be at room temperature, or at least not lower than + 10 ° С;
- pay attention to the expiration date and release date of the tape when purchasing – the old tape partially loses its adhesive properties;
- the shelf life of the curb tape is about 2 years, so if you need a small fragment (one or two sides of the bath), then after a year it is better to use the other half;
- store unused leftovers in their packaging at room temperature until reinstallation;
- before installation, it is important to clean all protruding elements (pieces of cement, sealant) for a good fit;
- do not rush to try the tape for moisture resistance, let it “sit down” for several hours;
- when cleaning the bathroom, do not test the border for adhesion strength – it will be enough to rinse it and occasionally rinse it with a soapy sponge.
3. Glue the border tape:
- take measurements and mark on the tape according to the size of the edge of the container, leave an allowance for the corner joint, if any;
- fold the cut piece in half or along the visible creases with the glue side outward – for more elasticity and ease of installation, you can additionally warm it up with a hairdryer;
- according to the rules, they begin to glue the tape from the corner, then along the length, and then along the width of the bath, gradually removing the protective layer;
- if installation of 2 corners is to be done, then first we attach along the greater length, then the corners, and behind them short segments;
- from the adhesive, we gradually separate the protective strip of 12-15 cm in order to have time to apply it to the joint, pressing it tightly to both surfaces, but first to the bath;
- when laying the border tape, you cannot stretch it, only carefully press it against the smooth walls;
- it is important to control the adhesion of the tape all the time, especially on irregularities and defects of the tile and its seams;
- we put the tape in the corner on the bathtub on top of each other, fixing it to the wall, and on the bathtub we cut the border at an angle of 45 °, then stick it to the bathtub, removing the protective film;
- after the corner we fasten the long side and go to the short one, remove the remnants at the edges and correct any irregularities in the corner;
- it is advisable to leave the sealed seam of the self-adhesive border for a day so that water does not get under the tape;
- if in a day there are fragments of incomplete adherence of the tape to the seams of the tile, glue it there with “liquid nails”.
The junction of the bathroom and the tile does not always form a goal or a gap if the installation of the bathroom was done correctly. However, the recess between the tiled wall and the bathroom is always uneven, contains fragments of mortar, especially if no sealant was applied to the cement, this spoils the overall appearance of the room.
Due to the fact that excess moisture and soap solution always settle in a small depression, a favorable environment for fungi and dark mold is formed in the gap, which is perceived as a strip of dirt that is difficult to remove. Mold itself releases mycotoxins and spores, which spread well in humid environments – this is harmful to health, especially for people with weakened immune systems..
The reason for the exacerbation of the disease of asthmatics, heart patients, the elderly and sickly children is not high humidity, but mold in the bathroom, which must be dealt with..
1. Clean all surfaces well, especially under the bathroom, treat them with antifungal fungicides (sold in building materials and household chemicals stores).
2. Dry the joint between the bathroom and the wall with a hair dryer and seal the space with curb tape according to the scheme provided in the instructions..
3. Do not forget to ventilate the bathroom after showering and other water procedures and remove any remaining moisture. Also, make sure that no wet rags remain in the bathroom after washing the floors – dry them on the balcony or somewhere in the yard.
You will be surprised how much the well-being of your loved ones will improve thanks to such a simple method, especially since it will ennoble the look of the hygienic room familiar to everyone. Excess moisture and mold leads to the destruction of the surfaces of finishing materials, so it is better to seal the bath gap securely, close the joints between the tiles with a special sealant. Then the cleaning of the bathroom will be of better quality, and the conditions for the development of pathogenic mold will be much less..
Tip: Remember that constant dampness in the bathroom leads to the accumulation of condensation, which contributes to the formation of mold on all surfaces, even if it is not noticeable. Examination of toilet flushes in ordinary city apartments showed under a microscope how many invisible white, yellowish and grayish fungi are perceived as “plaque” – in fact, this is a dangerous mold and candida mushrooms.