Modern industry offers a PVC membrane for roofing, which has high technical performance, and is also easy to operate and used in construction work. In this article we will look at the features of the installation of this material using different technologies..
Table of contents:
For the first time, the membrane appeared on the market about 40 years ago, and still holds its position among other building materials. Many consumers choose exactly PVC membrane, which has high insulating and heat-saving properties. There are different options and technologies for attaching this material, which will be described in the article..
PVC membrane is a roofing material that has excellent waterproofing properties. It is made on the basis of polyvinyl chloride. The membrane consists of several components that determine its quality:
1. The surface of the material is quite resistant to various temperature changes, as well as to the effects of ultraviolet rays. The top layer has a different color scheme, so it is not difficult to choose a roof that would correspond to the general architecture of buildings..
2. Next, there is a layer of polyester mesh, which is reinforced. Not every material has such a component..
3. The lower part of the PVC roofing membrane has dark shades, which is very important for this type of product. This is necessary so that if the upper layer of the membrane breaks, it is easy to find the place of damage and repair it..
The main feature of PVC membranes are special stabilizers that are present in the upper area of the material. They allow you to protect the roof from external influences and other damage. It should be noted that ultraviolet rays are dangerous for PVC roofing membranes. Therefore, there are absorbers in the building material, which form a barrier, which prevents destruction from exposure to ultraviolet radiation..
Modern manufacturers provide customers with a guarantee for 8-12 years, however, the shelf life of such a coating can be 50 years. The peculiarity of the production of the material consists in joining the sheets with overlapping technology, using hot air streams. This method allows you to create a membrane with a solid surface, as well as reliable seams. Installation of the material can be carried out at any time of the year without any extra effort.
Laying the PVC membrane can be done for buildings that are in use or not in use. As a rule, this material is recommended for flat roofing, and is used in the construction of multi-storey buildings, industrial buildings, shopping centers and so on. Installation of a roofing membrane is rarely used in the construction of ordinary residential buildings. This is due to the high prices for such products, as well as the peculiarity of the architecture of the roofs, which are made gable, and so on..
The membrane is recommended for use in the construction of buildings with a flat roof. The characteristics of such a roof and the correct design will make it possible to equip a roof that does not need to be repaired. In this case, you will need to constantly clean the drainage system, as well as check the roof for damage..
The characteristics of the production of PVC membranes and technologies of modern industry make it possible to create a material of low weight. Such a roof does not have a high load on the supporting elements of buildings and foundations. The thickness of the membrane can be from 0.8 to 2 millimeters, the average weight of which is 1.5 kg per square meter. Such material is offered in stores in rolls of different widths and lengths, therefore it is quite easy to choose the required amount of roofing without residues..
Experts identify a number of advantages of the membrane as a roofing material, which are:
1. Fast process of installation and assembly of all elements of the product.
2. The membrane has a long service life.
3. The surface of the material has a high level of resistance to the external environment, while the product can withstand very low temperatures down to -60 degrees.
4.PVC membrane has a strong structure, which stands out for its elastic properties.
5. The material is vapor-permeable, which eliminates the appearance of moisture and condensation on the surface of the product.
6. The product is easy to mount on different roofs, even with uneven surfaces..
7. The membrane is considered a non-combustible material, which complies with all fire safety rules.
According to the above advantages, this material has some disadvantages that are important to consider when choosing a product. First of all, the membrane is considered an expensive material, therefore not every person can afford such a roof covering. This disadvantage is fully compensated by the durability of the product. For example, shingles need to be repaired after three years, and the membrane coating will last at least 40 years..
The roof covering should not only protect the surface from external influences, but also save heat in the room, remove excess moisture, and the like. All properties should determine the durability of PVC
membranes. TechnoNICOL is a company that offers membrane coating all over the world.
Specialists use the special term “roofing cake” for this type of product. This is due to the fact that the membrane has three main layers, namely vapor barrier, insulation and waterproofing. Of course, in some products there may be additional layers, which depend on the purpose of the material used..
A standard PVC membrane roofing scheme has the following components:
1. The first layer is solid and consists of a profiled sheet.
2. Next, a vapor barrier is laid, which is a film that prevents the appearance of moisture and the formation of condensation.
3. The lower area is considered to be thermal insulation. The most popular insulation material is mineral wool. An excellent substitute can be expanded polystyrene or glass wool..
4. For such a roof it is necessary to create another layer of thermal insulation. The second row is designed to distribute the load on the roof. Mineral wool can be used as insulation materials, but with a higher percentage of density.
5. Next, the telescopic fasteners are installed.
6. On top of all layers, the PVC membrane is installed.
The modern market offers a wide range of additional materials that are necessary for installing a membrane coating. They allow you to form a dense layer of the roof, which will have high waterproofing and thermal insulation properties. Manufacturers offer several types of roofing membranes, which differ in certain parameters..
1. PVC membranes are also made of polyvinyl chloride, which is reinforced with a reinforcing polyester mesh. To make this product more plastic, it is recommended to add plasticizers. PVC membranes are quite durable and reliable, which is due to special technologies for soldering the components. Therefore, all joints of the product are strong enough and have an integral structure. The only drawback is volatile compounds, as well as a low level of resistance to the effects of various oils, solvents and bitumen..
2. They also produce EPDM membranes, the main component of which is synthetic rubber. This product is additionally reinforced with polyester threads. Such material has a low cost, and among the main properties one can single out a long service life and high elasticity. The main disadvantage is the use of glue for the installation of such products, which excludes other methods of fastening. The most problematic area is the joints between sheets, which need to be periodically checked and repaired..
3. TPO membranes are made on the basis of thermoplastic olefins. There are different variations of the product, which differ in the presence of a reinforcing mesh or its absence. The technology of joining the elements of the material is determined by the method of hot welding of the components, which forms strong and reliable seams. One of the disadvantages is the lower elasticity of the product..
The peculiarities of roof installation are determined by the consumption of the PVC membrane, as well as by the technology of fastening the parts. Further, we will describe all the methods of installing this type of roof for buildings with the recommendations of specialists..
Ballast mounting technology:
When fixing a membrane roof in this way, you must adhere to the following instructions:
1. With a slight slope of the roof, it is recommended to use the ballast technology for fastening the roofing material. First of all, the product is laid on the roof, after which the membrane is leveled and fixed to the surface. Sheets of material must be fixed with the assistance of glue or special welding technology around the entire perimeter of the roof.
2. Ballast must be placed on top of the membrane layer. The optimal material for this is river pebbles, which have fractions from 25 to 40 millimeters. Experts advise using gravel and crushed stone. The approximate ballast mass is determined as 50 kg per square meter..
3. If non-rounded materials were purchased for the coating, then in order to avoid damage to the surface, it is necessary to use mats or a special cloth. The density of the material should be 50 grams per square meter. meter.
Mechanical fastening of the membrane roof:
Additional parts for membrane mounting are a holder, a rail and a telescopic fastener. First, it is necessary to calculate the load of all roofing parts that are important for fixing the membrane covering. Mechanical fastening of the roof is important in the case when the waterproofing for the PVC membrane cannot be fixed with glue..
As a basis for fixing the elements, wood, corrugated board, reinforced concrete and the like can be used. For reliable fastening of parts, it is necessary to select edge strips that are mounted around the entire perimeter of the roof. The main device in the work is telescopic fasteners, which are umbrellas made of plastic. They should have a wide head and metal anchors, which is quite possible to replace with disc holders. The last detail is advised to use if the roof slope angle has an indicator of 100.
The peculiarities of the mechanical fastening consist in the placement of the membranes by the overlap method. The approximate step of fixing the fasteners should be 20 cm.When the roof slope is more than 2-40, it is necessary to equip an additional fastening strip.
It’s important to know! When installing a membrane roof mechanically, especially to the roof plane, it is necessary to attach another layer of geotextile material. This will avoid violating the integrity of the product surface..
Installation method using PVC membrane adhesive:
The technology of gluing a membrane product is used very rarely, since this method is uneconomical. This type of roof fastening is unreliable and does not have a sufficient level of strength for fixing the product to the surface. Most often, glue is used only in those versions where other methods of fixing the membrane are impossible..
As an adhesive, a mixture can be used, the strength of which should not exceed the strength of the connection of the layers of the membrane coating. Experts advise against applying glue over the entire roof area. It is best to choose to apply the mixture around the perimeter, as well as at the points of fixation of the sheets and in the areas where the membrane is adjacent to the ventilation or chimney.
PVC membrane welding technology:
Most membrane coatings are heat-sealed to the surface. For this, it is necessary to use a special apparatus that creates an air flow with a temperature of 450-600 degrees. The approximate width of the welds should be 2 to 10 cm.
The technology of bonding seams in a similar way will allow you to create the tightness of the roofing. At the same time, all joints sealed by welding cannot be affected by ultraviolet rays, which differ from the bonding option. In the modern world, welding methods allow you to form a reliable and durable coating, however, it is almost impossible to do such work on your own..
All the technologies and options for bonding the membrane coating presented in this article can be applied to both huge buildings and ordinary houses. If you correctly approach the choice of roofing material and use a reliable technology for fixing the product, then you can make a durable coating that will have a long service life..