By decorating the basement of the building with bricks, it is possible to give it a graceful and solid appearance. In addition, any type of foundation is suitable for this finish, regardless of the technology for its implementation. We will consider further how to choose a brick for finishing the foundation and how to perform cladding with it..
Table of contents:
Correctly and high-quality brick cladding of a house can make the simplest house, aesthetically attractive and refined. The cladding of the house protects the lower part of the house from moisture, which causes mold and mildew.
In addition, a properly executed cladding option is able to protect a building even from flooding. In addition, the brick additionally insulates the walls and protects them from fire, due to the presence of fireproof qualities.
So, the use of brick for wall decoration has the following advantages:
- protects the outer part of the building from destruction;
- protects the house from mud, dust, influences, and also performs the function of additional waterproofing;
- helps to resist water currents, during rain or snow melting;
- protects the base from mechanical stress;
- significantly increases the life of the building;
- makes the house more attractive and aesthetically complete.
Pile foundations are based on the presence of piles that go deep into the ground. This design is characterized by the absence of walls on which the cladding could be performed. However, the structure and appearance of the brick makes it possible not to equip this base, since by their characteristics they are excellent for cladding without it..
The design features of the pile foundations imply the protrusion of its surface part by more than 200 mm. To increase the rigidity of the structure, elements are installed in the form of a reinforced concrete grillage or wooden beams, when arranging log houses.
In the process of finishing the foundation, this base most often performs an exclusively decorative function, since all the load falls directly on the surface of the foundation. Thus, it is possible to use not only bricks, but, for example, siding made for it..
If the height of the basement is more than 100 cm, in this case, you will need to first build the basement walls, and then finish. In this case, the most convenient material, both constructively and decoratively, will be brick. For wall decoration with aesthetic functions, it is recommended to use hollow bricks or lay the material on the edge. In addition, hyper-pressed or colored material will be an excellent option for finishing the basement..
To equip a full basement floor, it is recommended to equip the wall thickness of 1.5 bricks or more. To do this work, you should work very hard and make a lot of both physical and material investments, because, in this case, a lot of bricks will be required.
However, such a room can become quite practical, since there is an option of using it as a storage room, a small basement or a technical floor, in which all communications will be carried out..
Regardless of the chosen option for finishing the pile foundation, first of all, it is necessary to equip a small shallow foundation on which the brick walls of the basement will be located. To make the foundation, you will need a concrete solution.
First, you should determine the location of the basement part – this may be an interpile space, in which case, the basement will be located a little deeper, in relation to the walls, according to the second option – the basement is equipped with a small protrusion in relation to the building.
Before starting work on the manufacture of a shallow foundation for the walls of the basement, pay attention to the fact that some of the load from the building will also fall on it. Therefore, its width should be slightly larger than the basement walls themselves. For example, if you equip a standard masonry of 1.5 bricks, then the walls will be about 37 cm, and the foundation, in this case, should be made 40 cm thick.
The height of the foundation also depends on the height and number of bricks used in the process of arranging the walls. For example, if the height of the basement is no more than 70 cm, then for such walls it is quite enough to equip the foundation with a depth of 35 cm.
First, you should dig a trench around the entire perimeter of the building, its depth will be about 25 cm.Further, you need to equip a sand pillow in it, no more than 7 cm thick, but the sand must be carefully tamped and watered. The next stage is the construction of the formwork from edged boards. Its height is 30-35 cm.At the bottom of the foundation, roofing material must be laid, observe an overlap between its sheets of 15-20 cm.Thus, it will be possible to prevent moisture leakage from the concrete solution.
The next stage involves pouring the foundation with concrete. There are two options for its implementation – buying a ready-made concrete solution or making it yourself. It is recommended to use more than 200 grade concrete. When making a solution yourself, be sure to observe the proportion, one part of cement, two parts of sand and three parts of crushed stone, the fraction of which should not exceed one millimeter. Make sure that there is no clay in the gravel and sand, as the mortar will turn out to be of poor quality. When choosing cement, you should use four hundred grade material, the solution should contain about 25% moisture.
When erecting full-fledged concrete walls, we recommend adding additives in the form of Penkrit to the solution, they will protect the concrete from moisture and temperature drops. Next, ready-made concrete is poured into the formwork. This must be done in two stages. First, half of the formwork is poured, then the mixture is compacted with a manual vibrator on concrete, and the second part is poured, which is also carefully vibrated to remove excess air from the mixture.
It is recommended to install a reinforcing mesh between the layers, for the manufacture of which reinforcing bars should be tied or welded together, with a diameter of about one centimeter.
Facing the foundation with a brick photo:
The next stage involves the construction of brick walls. However, for this, concrete must acquire strength characteristics within one month. At the end of this time, the laying of the walls begins. It is important, when performing work, to choose not wet weather, especially without rain. Otherwise, the finished masonry is covered with polyethylene film.
Instructions on how to make a brick cladding of a foundation:
1. Before starting work, roofing material is covered on the base. For the correct setting of the corners, we recommend that you first lay the brick on the base without using mortar, thus, check the evenness and correctness of the wall laying and determine the location of the brick. If inaccuracies arise, use the building level.
2. After determining the method of laying, the process of preparing the mortar follows, which will be used in the process of facing. This will require the presence of:
- one part of cement;
- three parts of sand;
- water, in such an amount to obtain a plastic mass.
3. The presence of air vents in the bottom row of brickwork will ensure normal air circulation in the basement space. For their manufacture, we suggest using one of the following methods:
- install instead of a whole brick, only 75% or 50%;
- do not fill several joints with cement mortar.
4. Please note that special attention should be paid to strapping the corners and reinforcing the masonry, which is performed after installing four rows using metal strips.
5. If the height of the basement allows it to be used as a well floor for storing things or communications, then it is recommended to use well masonry, the essence of which is to equip one brick row, then install insulation, install another row of bricks.
6. Please note that in this case, when arranging a foundation for this type of masonry, you should also take into account the thickness of the insulation that will be installed between the bricks.
7. At the same time, the inner wall, which is not visible, will be built from ordinary inexpensive bricks, and the outer one – from aesthetically pleasing material..
Before starting work, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the tips for arranging the basement cladding:
- all work must be carried out only after at least one year, after the construction of the house, thus, the house will give the necessary shrinkage, otherwise, there is a risk of deformation of the base;
- do not forget about the arrangement of the ventilation system, in the form of small ventilation gaps, which are located opposite to each other;
- if the basement is used as an additional technical room, then one should not forget about the installation of thermal insulation.
The strip foundation for brick cladding should be prepared as follows:
- clean the surface from dirt and dust;
- wipe all seams and remove irregularities, if any;
- patch up all cracks and cracks;
- equip a blind area around the perimeter of the building;
- carry out waterproofing work by covering the surface with bitumen or roofing material;
- install thermal insulation materials such as polystyrene;
- cover the surface with primer and plaster.
Among the advantages of installing bricks on the surface of the basement are:
- ease of installation;
- affordable cost;
- attractive appearance;
- fire resistance;
- high characteristics of strength and reliability;
- duration of operation;
- good thermal insulation properties.
For facing the foundation with a brick, the price depends on the wall thickness and the technology of work.
However, cladding with the help of bricks should be provided even during the construction of the foundation of the building itself. Since in this case, stock will be required for this material.
If there is no stock, you will have to equip an additional base in the form of a foundation. In the process of its arrangement, factors such as the thickness of the brick layer, about 11 cm, basement protrusions, the distance between the wall and the indentation should be taken into account – a few centimeters.
Thus, it will be necessary to equip a twenty-centimeter foundation, the depth of which should not reach the level of freezing of the soil. To carry out the work, follow the instructions:
1. Take care of the installation of the formwork, for its arrangement it is recommended to use only boards with high humidity.
2. This is followed by the laying of reinforcement, providing additional reinforcement of the structure.
3. Do not fill the foundation with the whole solution, divide it into several parts. If the layer thickness is about 15 cm, then it is recommended to pour the next layer, after 24 hours.
Facing a house with a strip foundation is much easier, since it is possible to install bricks directly on the surface of the walls. However, in this case, work should be carried out to dig the foundation by twelve centimeters..
Thus, a gap of 30 mm will have to be observed between the wall and the brick, and the thickness of the material is 12 cm, that is, the brick will protrude beyond the wall by 30 mm, which is quite permissible according to building codes.
If a silicate-based brick is used for finishing the basement, then the size of its removal should not exceed six centimeters. Cover the masonry with plastic wrap to prevent it from washing away the mortar when it rains.
The mortar for laying bricks on the wall surface should be prepared in the following proportion:
- one part of cement;
- one piece of lime dough;
- four pieces of sand.
After combining all the components, add a little water, which will give the solution a certain viscosity. In the process of the first batch, determine the amount of water, and then add it at the calculated rate.
Otherwise, if it is not possible to dig the foundation to such a width, you will have to equip a new foundation, according to the technology described above. Please note that the brick will be laid in one row, since the main wall is already present. It is possible, if desired, to install insulation, in this case, when arranging the foundation, its thickness should be taken into account.
After completing the brick laying work, we recommend covering the surface with a hydrophobic compound, which will prevent moisture from affecting the brick and improve its technical characteristics..
Facing the foundation with a brick video: