After the completion of the construction of a log house, a grinding process follows, which will help to give the tree an aesthetic appearance and make it stronger. About the technology of grinding a log house with your own hands and about what to grind a log house, we will consider further.
Table of contents:
The construction of a log house opens up many advantages for its owner, such as:
1. Environmental friendliness of the home – wood is a clean and harmless material that does not cause allergies and is safe for both adults and children..
2. Wood regulates the humidity in the room – due to the natural properties of moisture absorption, a wooden blockhouse is able to absorb moisture in case of its excessive amount, and give it away, if necessary.
3. The ability of the log house to breathe provides the room with constant natural ventilation, and at the same time does not release heat. This has a positive effect on the coziness and comfort of staying in such a room..
4. Wood has low thermal conductivity – therefore the house heats up very quickly.
5. The blockhouse is resistant to deformation, its walls are light and do not require the construction of an expensive massive foundation.
6. In addition, wood is an excellent sound insulator, it has high frost resistance and, in comparison with the construction of a brick or concrete house, is cheaper..
Before you start studying the technology of polishing a log house, you should familiarize yourself with its main varieties. As you know, a log house is a wooden building made of logs pre-processed using a special technology. For and production choose coniferous or deciduous trees. Basic material requirements:
- lack of moisture;
- diameter from eighteen to forty centimeters;
- lack of rot, dark spots, bugs, etc..
In the process of constructing a log house, the logs are stacked one on top of the other, one row of logs is called a crown. The first row of logs has the largest diameter, since they are subjected to a large load. The underside of each log has grooves that are:
In order for the walls of the log house to be stable, plug-in spikes are used, which are located alternately on each of the logs. Due to the fact that the tree for a log house is dry, and is strongly compacted during the installation process, in the first few years of operation of the log house, it settles. This factor must be taken into account when determining the height of the building..
The process of its grinding depends on the angle of the log house, so we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the main types of log cabins, in relation to the type of corner of the building..
The corner is the connection of two logs to each other, the strength and integrity of the entire frame depends on it. In addition, the corners significantly affect the thermal insulation of the room, since improperly equipped corners of the log house will make the room cold and reduce the duration of its operation..
Among the varieties of log corners, there are two main types:
- with a balance,
- with no remainder.
The first option involves the protrusion of the logs twenty to thirty centimeters outside the building. These corners are practical, easy to manufacture, low coefficient of thermal conductivity and windproof. One of the significant disadvantages of this type of corner is the increase in the amount of wood required for arranging a log house. Although, if we compare these costs with the costs of warming the corners without a trace, then they will be almost the same.
The corners without residues suggest the fastening of the log house with the help of wooden locks cut down on the end sections of the logs. In such a frame, the ends do not protrude outside the building. The only advantage of this type of corners is their more attractive appearance. But, disadvantages, the corners without a trace have more, since in the connecting parts a small space is formed through which the wind enters the room, therefore they require insulation. In addition, the work on the construction of such a log house takes longer and requires large investments, since, in order to build locks at the end of the logs, you need to attract specialists and pay for their work..
Blockhouse – consists of logs, but during operation, due to the presence of bark, they begin to darken and lose their appearance. This happens because moisture is absorbed into the unpolished areas and the process of decay occurs in them..
To increase the duration of the operation of the log house, its external processing is carried out, which includes the process of grinding and covering the tree with the help of special compounds that make it waterproof, fireproof and antiseptic.
The process of polishing a log house is quite laborious, and requires from its performer not only special skills, but also certain tools and a lot of time. If there is no time, then it is better to entrust this issue to professionals who will carry out the grinding quickly and efficiently, while the log house will serve its owner for many decades.
Consequences of grinding:
- protection of wood from the formation of fungus and mold;
- attractiveness of appearance;
- after sanding, a clear wood texture can be traced.
In addition, we propose to consider the advantages of polishing a log house:
1. Mechanical processing of wood allows you to get rid of roughness and cracks, and also helps to improve the aesthetic properties of wood.
2. Wood that has been sanded has high adhesion to paints and varnishes.
3. Grinding a log house – a preparatory stage, which allows for further finishing of the entire building.
4. After sanding, the tree has a beautiful texture, which is the main decoration of log cabins..
5. Sanding prevents premature aging of wood.
If you have free time and want to do the grinding yourself, first of all you need to decide on a tool that will come in handy in your work. To work easily and conveniently, choose a tool that is not too heavy, but at the same time has good power..
An excellent solution would be a belt sander, which will help to do this job efficiently. To facilitate the sanding process, these tools have built-in bags that collect dust and sawdust during sanding, so additional cleaning after work is not required.
If the blockhouse is made of logs that have a semicircular shape, then the tape machine will not cope with such work. Then the grinder comes to the rescue, which has special grinding attachments. Use a special disc covered with sandpaper. For hard-to-reach places, the use of a chisel would be an excellent solution..
Pay attention to the weight of the grinder, if it is too heavy, it will be inconvenient and difficult to work. Recommended power from 600 to 900 W. Choose tools from trusted manufacturers, and ask for a product warranty.
Please note that the work on sanding the log house begins after the tree is completely dry. If you start work, immediately after the construction of a log house, then a damp tree will not allow you to make the surface even and smooth.
Stock up on a certain number of nozzles that have different grain sizes, since certain areas of the log house require individual grinding. In addition, when carrying out primary grinding, it is better to use a nozzle with coarse grains (forty), and for finishing grinding, a nozzle with a coarseness of eighty or one hundred is quite enough..
The grinding process consists of the following stages:
- rough stripping;
- medium processing: smoothing the surface and removing irregularities;
- fine processing;
- sanding before applying varnish or paint.
In the process of polishing a log house, you will need to change the attachments very often, because the resin and wood dust wears them off. In order to clean the nozzle from the pieces of wood that have accumulated in it, use a steel brush, but before that, treat it with white alcohol. Please note that such a nozzle will work worse, and will wear off faster..
The speed of the grinding process is influenced by:
- skills of working with the tool;
- type of tree;
- log area;
- the presence of complex elements;
- power of the tool;
- the amount of resin in the tree.
The average speed of grinding work on a running meter of a thirty centimeter bar is two minutes.
Do not forget about safety precautions, during the work in the air there is dust, tar and sawdust that get on the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and eyes, therefore, when grinding the bar, it is recommended to wear a mask and protective clothing.
To work, you will need:
- angle grinder or grinder;
- disk or belt-type parquet grinder;
- grinding attachments;
- vacuum cleaner;
Start the grinding process, after a certain time, after the construction of the log house. The building should have minimal shrinkage. An angle grinder can handle large surfaces, while hard-to-reach surfaces can be handled.
To complete a complete grinding of a log house, its internal walls and front sections, you will need an eccentric sander, a small grinder and a 2 cm chisel.
We propose to consider the recommendations for polishing a log house:
1. If there are too large walls, it is necessary to divide them into certain zones, and carry out grinding in parts. After completing the work, you should immediately cover the surface with special solutions. If one area is sanded in one day, and not covered with paint, and the other after a few days, then the work will be done in vain. After polishing, after 24 hours, the blockhouse begins to darken and requires another polishing. According to the recommendations of experts, the painting of the log house should be carried out in a maximum of 36-48 hours, after grinding.
2. The sanding process includes several stages, the first of which is to use a coarse type of abrasive paper. With its help, the rough part of the bark is removed, while the pile of the tree remains intact. To get rid of the pile areas, it is necessary to carry out a second sanding process, which includes working with fine abrasive paper.
3. In the absence of experience in performing grinding, it is not recommended to use a grinder. This tool has a high rotation speed, and it is difficult for a beginner to use it to carry out uniform grinding. If you apply a little force and press the grinder on the timber, then grooves will appear on it, which will spoil the appearance of the log house. Therefore, in this case, the grinder is used only when processing groove and end sections..
4. Before grinding the grooves of the log house, it is necessary to equip the angle grinder with a special flat-type nozzle. There are two options for such attachments:
It is preferable to choose the first option, since rubber nozzles are not practical, deteriorate quickly and require constant replacement. The diameter of the attachment should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the replacement sanding sheets. If the nozzle falls into the groove, the tool will jam and can accidentally break out of the hands, if the nozzle is smaller, then it will not touch the person performing the grinding, otherwise the consequences will be dire.
In order to grind the logs, you will need a grinder with a grinding wheel, fine sandpaper, a grinder with a wheel and grout. This process is longer and requires a lot of experience with the grinding tool..
Before you start grinding the logs, you must wait at least 8-9 days after the construction of the log house, if the weather is dry and warm. Waiting time will increase in wet weather.
The sanding process involves sanding rough spots with a grinder or grinder. Then, all areas are processed with grout and sandpaper. This process continues until the timber is perfectly flat and smooth. The final stage of grinding is recommended to be carried out manually, especially the joints of logs and hard-to-reach places. The most important condition for proper sanding is the rapid coverage of the log house with finishing materials, which will reduce the risk of mold and mildew on the tree..
The process of external processing of a log house is able to extend its service life several times. This procedure consists of sanding and painting with various compounds..
There is a large number of products that are processed after polishing a log house. There are both domestic and foreign manufacturers on the market. But, not all of these products are suitable for the treatment of residential premises, so before buying, carefully read the instructions and technical features of the solution..
Among the obligatory means for covering a log house after grinding are:
- antiseptics to prevent the development of mold and mildew;
- glazing compositions that make the appearance of the walls more attractive;
- fire retardants – solutions that increase resistance to fire.
The main function of log processing is protective. In addition, with the help of modern developments, the natural texture of the wood is emphasized and its tinting is performed. It is possible to use ordinary paint on wood, but in this case, the texture of the wood will not be visible.
The first layer, which is applied during the processing of the log house, is antiseptic, then bleaching is performed, and then the application of fireproof impregnations.
It is better to paint a blockhouse with a brush or a spray gun. If the house consists of logs, then it is preferable to choose the second option.
Before applying the base coats, pay attention to the flatness and smoothness of the sanding and the absence of caulking. If available, use a special sealant to seal the caulk and prevent it from interacting with the environment..
Pay attention to the end areas; use acrylic moisture-resistant solutions or water glass to process them. But, keep in mind that the second option is less safe for living quarters. Apply any of the solutions in two layers, while before applying the second, the first must be completely dry.
The walls are treated immediately after sanding, and at a positive air temperature. The first layer is glazed. The application of the compositions is carried out with a brush or a spray gun..
The main rule is durable wall processing using high quality products from leading manufacturers. If you save on materials, then the felling will suffer first of all, since wood is a rather vulnerable material that requires careful maintenance..
Log polishing video: