Compliance with the technology of mounting a seam roofing allows you to prevent corrosion of the coating, its deformation and sagging. Properly installed, the material will serve its owners for many years. How to properly install a folded roof with your own hands, we will consider further.
Table of contents:
The folded roof is characterized by a special installation technology, thanks to which a reliable folded lock is created that prevents water leaks. The appearance of the roof is particularly attractive, gives the building aristocracy and originality.
The roof itself consists of separate pictures, connected to each other with folds. For their manufacture, sheet or roll steel is used, always with a galvanized coating. To increase the durability of the structure, it is treated with a special sputtering of non-ferrous metals such as copper, aluminum, zinc, pural or plastisor. The most optimal and durable option in operation is copper. Despite the high cost of such a roof, it has an amazing appearance and good performance..
By connecting the roofing sheets together, it is possible to obtain a connection called a seam. There are four types of such compounds:
- single type;
- double type;
- standing type;
- recumbent type.
The first option is relevant if the roof slopes are located at an angle of more than fifteen degrees. The second option is particularly waterproof and durable, although it will take more material and effort to equip it, but the result is worth it. Standing folds are relevant in the connection of longitudinal strips.
Among the advantages of standing seam roofing, we note:
- the possibility of using various spraying, which give it a unique shade and originality;
- due to seam joints, the roof does not leak
- does not need additional mounting holes, so the roof becomes resistant to temperature changes;
- a variety of installation technologies, materials, variations in laying sheets or rolls, allows you to create an interesting roof covering that will be in harmony with any building;
- the presence of a smooth surface ensures rapid drainage of water and snow;
- due to the fact that the material is quite flexible, it is possible to equip such a roof on any type of roof;
- the light weight of the structure allows you not to mount the rafter system;
- such a roof is easy to maintain and repair;
- duration of operation is another important advantage of this type of roof.
When installing seam roofing, you must also learn about its shortcomings, such as:
- the need for special equipment, which greatly simplifies the process of performing installation work;
- the steel roof has a high thermal conductivity, therefore it needs additional insulation;
- the roof needs to be equipped with additional units that reduce its noise performance;
- in order to protect the home during a thunderstorm, it is necessary to install a lightning rod and grounding;
- on a smooth surface, it is necessary to install snow catchers, as avalanches will fall to the ground during heavy snowfalls.
The most durable copper roof in operation, it will serve its owners for more than one hundred and fifty years. In addition, this type of roof has an attractive appearance, since it has a special textured pattern that imitates various materials. However, the cost of such a roof is quite high, although it pays off during operation..
Aluminum roofing is lightweight, resistant to corrosion, mechanical damage and all kinds of loads. The service life of such a roof reaches a hundred years. The cost of such a roof is an order of magnitude lower than that of a copper one, however, the performance characteristics are also at a high level..
Also, seam roofing is made of titanium-zinc coating, which is distinguished by its prestigious appearance, reliability and durability. In addition, a distinctive feature of this material is its high level of plasticity. After a certain period of operation, the roof becomes covered with a patina, which makes it even more elite..
The most affordable material for the manufacture of standing seam roofing is ordinary metal. The great demand for this kind of roofing is primarily due to the affordable cost of the coating. The service life of this structure reaches 55 years. The choice of color and appearance of steel is possible. In addition, the zinc coating protects the roof from corrosion and deterioration..
Seam roofing differs not only in the materials from which it is made, but also in the technological moments of its installation. In the process of manufacturing the roof, materials are used in both sheet and roll versions..
Using sheets is a classic option that is unfortunately losing popularity. The main rule of any installation of a folded roof is to create special conditions in the attic space that prevent the formation of condensation on the roof, which destroys it.
An innovative method of roof installation is the use of roll materials. This installation technology is distinguished by the presence of better quality seams, which are easily equipped by specialists..
Among the advantages of the roll-to-roll technology for mounting a standing seam roof, we note:
- installation of not only steel sheets, but also a material with a polymer layer, which has the best performance characteristics;
- the use of a standing double fold, which ensures a high degree of material tightness;
- the use of technology in various areas of roof installation, regardless of the roof slope and its shape;
- speed and ease of work, due to the mobility of the equipment used in the installation of the roof.
The correct use of the tool in the process of performing installation work, half ensures the duration of the operation of the roofing. The main tool for the construction of the clamp, is used in any case of installation, both in roll and in sheet. There are two types of tools used for seam seaming:
- mechanical equipment;
- electric type tool.
The first option involves the use of a set of pliers, which contain two frames that cover the folds. With their help, it is possible to create single and double folds.
The electric machine allows you to speed up the work several times, while, after rolling it up, it stops on its own at the final section of the roof.
Also, when installing a seam roof, you will need a tool in the form of:
- scissors for metal;
- drills and screwdrivers;
- level and other measuring instruments.
Additional tools used in the roofing installation process depend on the individual characteristics of the building and the method of installation of roofing materials..
To begin work on the installation of a standing seam roof, you should choose a crate, for the manufacture of which a steel profile, board or wooden beam is used. The main requirement for the crate is its maximum evenness, the absence of recesses.
Seam roof installation instructions:
1. Initially, the insulating coating is laid on the surface of the trusses. The presence of a light batten will provide sufficient ventilation of the under-roof space. The spacing for laying the battens is 40 cm.
2. Next, the first ridge-shaped roofing sheet is installed. Apply roofing sheets to the roof surface gradually.
3. Before starting the installation of the sheets, install the eaves of the roof.
4. On the ridge area, also install a support board. In order for the joints to be evenly spaced on the roof, the first and last sheet should be cut, in relation to the size of the roof.
5. Set up a solid boardwalk on the valley.
6. The alignment of the sheets is carried out in a ratio with an overlap of 4 cm. To fix the sheets on the cornice zone, use the upper lathing.
7. On the end sections of the roof, the fixing of the roofing material is carried out using self-tapping screws and washers, between which sealing gaskets are installed.
8. At the joints between the roofing sheets, snow barriers are laid. To perform longitudinal joining of sheets, also use an overlap.
The ridge and ribs on the seam roof must be straight. If wood is used for the manufacture of the lathing, then do not forget about covering it with an antiseptic composition..
Before starting installation work, you should fix the curtain rods along the lower edges. Also, the drainage system is installed at the initial stage. The valleys are fixed on the crate, and an anti-condensate film is installed on the rafter system, which provides waterproofing.
Before starting work on the roof, measure its slopes. Rectangular slopes should differ in equal diagonals. Arranging longitudinal joints, fixing the sheets is carried out in the direction from the bottom to the top. If the length of one slope is more than six meters, then it is assembled from several parts..
Installation of sheets is carried out with a slight overlap. When installing a copper roof, it is destroyed to use a seaming machine, which significantly improves the tightness of the joints between the sheets.
The service life of a copper roof is more than a hundred years, however, in order to ensure that this condition is met, the roof is installed on a continuous deck.
When equipping decking for seam roofs, you should be guided by the following recommendations:
- without fail, you should take care of the presence of a special ventilation gap, which allows you to drain the condensate formed inside the roof;
- thus, the lathing prevents corrosion of metal parts and damage to the wooden lathing;
- the crate should be able to reduce the noise generated by rain.
A solid base is also equipped if the roof slope is less than fourteen degrees. In order to improve the tightness of the connection between the sheets, after the seams are sealed, use a silicone sealant..
In order to create a self-snapping roof, galvanized steel sheets are used. Sheets should be in the form of large canvases, which are connected to each other using special grooves.
The most popular seam options are recumbent and upright seam options, used in longitudinal and transverse connections. Self-locking roofing is much faster and easier to install than standard seam roofing.
In addition, this type of roof is distinguished by a variety of colors and textures. Therefore, you can choose the best option suitable for a specific building..
To arrange the joints between the sheets, no special equipment is required, and all the work can be done independently, without the involvement of specialists. In addition, upon completion of the installation, an ideal coating is obtained, in the form of a continuous flooring, which absolutely does not allow moisture to pass through..
This roof option is suitable even for roofs with a slope angle of 8 degrees. Among the advantages of a self-locking roof, we note:
1. Possibility of installation on various kinds of roofs.
2. Long service life.
3. Due to the special installation technology, the reliability of the connections is ensured, and the seams are durable and tight..
4. Seam roofing is characterized by high bearing capacity, good resistance to the external environment..
Therefore, when choosing a seam roofing for a house, which you plan to install yourself, we recommend that you focus on its self-locking version, since such a structure does not require the use of special equipment to obtain a high-quality connection between the sheets. Repair of seam roofing will not be difficult, since if certain elements of it are damaged, it is enough to replace them.
Seam roof installation video: