If you have problems with the cistern, it is not necessary to call a specialist at home. Try to independently determine the cause of the breakdown and eliminate it. Most often, it is enough to simply inspect the inside of the tank and replace the worn out parts. How to independently repair the drain tank, we will consider further.
Table of contents:
The cistern makes it much easier to flush the toilet with tap water. At the same time, the comfort of being in the toilet is significantly exceeded. Water flows from the water supply into the cistern, which has a filling and drainage mechanism. The first version of the equipment accumulates water inside the tank to a certain level. Next, the water supply valve is closed..
After pressing the drain button, the drain mechanism starts functioning. Water, in a certain amount, begins to be absorbed into the toilet bowl, flushing it and entering the sewer system. That is, the principle of functioning of the flush tank is based on the alternate functioning of the drain and water collection system.
In order to quickly and efficiently repair the toilet cistern, you should familiarize yourself with its main components. The first and main element is the water filling valve, which adjusts the water level in the tank after it enters the toilet. Float – allows you to control the amount of water in the tank.
Initially, the first flush cisterns consisted of a rocker arm made of brass, on one part of which there was a float, and on the other a valve with a rubber gasket, which shuts off the water supply to the cistern. All parts of the overall system interact well with each other. In modern variations of cisterns, the location of the float is not horizontal, but vertical. At the same time, the process of water flow to the tank is accelerated, and the valve is located in its lateral part.
Some old models of cisterns have a special pear that seals the free space. After tightening the lever, water flowed to the toilet.
Most modern cisterns consist of a valve assembly that connects the filling and overflow systems. For its operation, you must press the button, which is located on the toilet lid. At the same time, the button has two components, by pressing one of them, water enters the toilet in a small amount, while the second button provides a better drain.
Plastic parts and rubber gaskets are used as reinforcing components of the cistern. If you need to replace them, each part can be purchased separately at any plumbing store.
There is also an overflow on the drainage mechanism, which protects the tank from overfilling it with water. If there is an excess of water in the tank, then it will never pour out of it, the drain valve will open and it will gradually drain into the toilet.
Also, when starting to repair an old cistern, you should familiarize yourself with the types of cisterns. In relation to a button or lever for draining water, cisterns are:
- side – relevant for tanks installed on the wall, to drain water in such a tank, you need to pull the lever;
- upper – a button or two buttons are located in the upper part of the toilet exactly in the center.
In order to improve the aesthetic appeal of the bathroom, in some cases, the installation of the flush button is carried out separately from the tank and toilet.
In relation to the material from which the flush tank is made, the following options are distinguished:
- cast iron cistern – it is practical to use, but is losing popularity, due to its large weight and modern materials that are more convenient to use;
- faience cistern – they are of the highest popularity, such cisterns complement a faience toilet well, differ in shape and color, fit well into any type of interior;
- plastic cisterns – differ in affordable cost, most often they are produced in the form of a flat shape.
In relation to the installation method, the cisterns have:
- upper mounting option – the tank is installed high on the wall, an additional pipe is used to connect it to the toilet, which are quite rare in modern use;
- installing a cistern in the wall is a rather complicated process, for which it is necessary to equip an additional niche in the wall, however, this variant of the cistern saves usable floor space;
- most often, the cistern is installed on the toilet shelf, in case of any malfunctions, it is possible to quickly access the cistern and fix them.
Initially, if problems arise with the operation of the drain tank, it is necessary to carry out a visual inspection. The most common cause of these problems is the float. In this case, it does not come to repair..
If water continuously flows into the toilet, while filling the tank again, then it is necessary to remove the lid of the cistern and visually inspect the float. With a slight bias, it may simply not work. Also, old rubber seals may not adhere tightly to the drain system, causing water leakage..
First, try to fix the float and fix this problem. When filling water to the limit, without stopping, it is necessary to replace the float.
If there is a worn seal in the cistern, it is necessary to press the valve against the drain device, if water continues to flow into the toilet, then you should take care of replacing the seal. It is possible to add additional weights to make the seal heavier.
If the integrity of the float is broken and its gradual immersion in water, the water in the tank will fill it above the required level. In this case, it is necessary to replace the fittings in the drain tank..
In order for the fittings to fit to your cistern, remove it from the cistern and take it with you to the store. After removing the reinforcement, pay attention to every detail, perhaps it is enough to replace one of the damaged elements and not buy the entire reinforcement.
In relation to the type of piping to the drain tank, there are several types of fittings, so it is better to take it with you to the store. If the inlet is located at the bottom, then to replace the fittings in this case, follow these steps:
- turn off the water using a special tap installed next to the toilet;
- unscrew the button and remove the cover on the drain tank;
- disconnect the liner, remove the drain part of the tank, first the upper parts, and then the lower ones;
- unscrew the fasteners on the drain tank;
- install the tank on the toilet, unscrew the fasteners that fix the second, lower part of the fittings;
- install new fittings in the tank and assemble it according to the same principle as it was disassembled.
The process of replacing the toilet fittings lasts no more than twenty minutes, and you do not need an additional tool, it is enough to use pliers and standard keys.
In the process of performing repair work with a drain tank, you will need tools in the form:
- adjustable wrench;
- flat and Phillips screwdrivers;
- rubber gaskets;
- silicone based sealant.
Quite often, the reason for the appearance of problems in the operation of the drain tank is precisely the inlet valve. With its help, the water supply to the inside of the tank is regulated using a special lever system. In relation to the variant of the toilet, this mechanism is installed in the side or bottom of the cistern.
If a malfunction occurs with the inlet valve, the water in the tank will overflow. In this case, you need to perform the following actions:
- try to lift the float up all the way;
- if, in this case, water does not flow, then it is necessary to change the height of the float, tighten the stem;
- clean the inlet valve from dirt and sediment, but before that it is necessary to turn off the water, to clean the valve, use an old toothbrush, collect it and check the operation of the mechanism.
With the help of these tricks, most often it is possible to solve the problems that arise in the process of using the cistern. However, if the problem remains unresolved, then it is most likely necessary to replace the inlet valve on the drain tank. In relation to the type of tank connection, select a new mechanism. There are universal devices that fit any type of toilet.
If there are problems with the leakage of the toilet, then in this case it is necessary to pay attention to the following factors, such as:
- tightness of fixing the cistern on the toilet;
- inspect the rubber seal for mechanical damage or wear.
Initially, tighten the bolts that secure the cistern to the toilet. However, do not tighten them too tightly, as there is a risk of damage to the toilet and cistern. If the leak persists, then remove the tank and replace the seal located on the drain channel. Also, it is recommended to replace the washers installed on the tank. For all joints, use a silicone based sealant.
Repair of cisterns with a bottom water supply is more difficult to carry out. They also have leakage problems from a worn-out seal, in the place of water inlet. In this case, the seal is also replaced and it is fixed with a sealant..
Repairing the flush valve will also help fix flush tank problems. Valve – provides dosage and transportation of water to the toilet. The principle of functioning of the toilet is that when water is supplied, the float is raised to the desired level, and then the water flow is shut off. In the process of draining, the float is lowered and ensures that the water is drained into the toilet. If you see a rusty strip inside the toilet, then the reason for the breakdown is the float.
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the main types of malfunctions associated with a breakdown of the float valve:
1. Outdated gasket – in this case, water constantly flows into the drain tank. To get rid of the problem, it is enough to replace the damaged element of the tank.
2. Rust on the saddle – this problem is caused by the constantly flowing water into the tank. In this case, it is recommended to replace the entire valve. However, it is also possible to install a gasket made of a denser material..
3. Lack of integrity in float operation – some valves are made of plastic or steel. In this case, if the integrity of the float is violated, it fills with water inside and does not rise up, blocking the water. In order to fix the problem, follow these steps:
- flip the float;
- replace float valve.
4. When the axial part on the lever is worn out, the piston is seized and insufficiently pressed, while water is constantly transported to the tank. You will need a nail to troubleshoot. However, if the lever has too large defects, then it is recommended to replace it..
5. If the stop valve is damaged, then the repair of the toilet cistern with a button is carried out using a stopper from a plastic bottle. In this case, it will serve as a new persistent cap..
There are two more common problems with the operation of the flush tank, these are:
- high noise level during the operation of the toilet;
- malfunctions with the drain start button.
If, by pressing the button, the water in the tank does not drain, then in this case, it is necessary to check the chain connecting the drain mechanism and the button. Try to loosen the fastening on the button, maybe the problem will be solved.
If a strong sound effect occurs during the draining process, then to eliminate it, put a plug on the part specially designated for it in the drain tank. Most often, such problems arise when operating tanks with a side water supply. If, after performing all the manipulations, the noise from the drain remains at the same level, then in this case, we recommend buying a special float-type system with a stabilizing chamber. This version of the system is distinguished by its quiet operation..
Since the drain tank has a rather simple design, even non-professionals can repair it. The main thing is to correctly identify the problem and fix it in time. Remember, any equipment needs periodic preventive maintenance. Only in this case, it will serve you as long as possible..
Repair of toilet cisterns video: