- 1kg/2lb Honeycomb Tripe
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 large Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1 Red Capsicum (sweet pepper), deseeded and chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander
- 60ml/2fl.oz. Madeira
- 480ml/16fl.oz. Fresh Beef Stock
- 12 Black Olives, pitted
- 50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cut the tripe into strips about 2.5cm/1 inch wide by 5cm/2 inches long and place into a dish together with the lime juice. Mix to coat well and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Heat the the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring.
3. Drain the tripe well and add to the casserole together with the tomatoes, bay leaf, coriander, Madeira, and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer, for 1 hour until the tripe is tender and the sauce slightly thickened, stirring from time to time.
4. Add the olives and cook for a further 2 minutes then stir in the cheese. Serve Hot.
Back to: Brazil Recipes