For the meringue:
For the filling and topping:
- 4 Egg Whites, separated
- 175g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 450g/1lb Fresh Strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 teasp Vanilla Extract
- 510ml/17fl.oz. Double Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1 and line 2 baking sheets with the greaseproof or parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Whisk in the sugar then divide the mixture between the 2 baking sheets forming 1 circle about 20cm/8 inches in diameter on each tray. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until crisp. IMPORTANT peel off the paper whilst the meringues are still hot. Cool on wire trays.
3. Meanwhile, wash, hull and halve the strawberries.
4. Place half the strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with the caster sugar. Mix well with a fork, slightly mashing but making sure there are still discernable pieces and set aside.
5. Just before serving - place the vanilla extract and cream in a mixing bowl and whisk until quite stiff. Add the strawberries which have been mascerated in the caster sugar and lightly mix.
6. To assemble - Place one meringue layer on a large flat serving platter and cover it with the cream mixture, then top with the second meringue layer and decorate the top with the remaining strawberry halves. Serve immediately.
Back to: Brazil Recipes