- 225g/8oz Salt pork, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Onions, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 Rashers Streaky Bacon, chopped
- 25g/1oz Parsley, chopped
- 2 large Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red Chili Pepper, chopped
- 400g/14oz Dried Beans (any type of small brown bean), soaked overnight
- 225g/8oz Italian sausage
- 2 Large Boneless Chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 5cm/2-inch cubes
- 225g/8oz Stewing Steak, cut into 5cm/2-inch cubes
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Water
- 225g/8oz Pumpkin, peeled and cut into 5cm/2-inch cubes
- 225g/8oz greens (Cabbage, Collard etc) cut into 5cm/2-inch pieces
- 175g/6oz fresh Green Beans, cut into 5cm/2-inch lengths
- 1 small Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 5cm/ 2-inch cubes
- 3 ripe Plantains, peeled and cut into 5cm/2-inch lengths
1. Place the salt pork in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the the onion, garlic, and bacon and sauté until golden brown.
3. Add the parsley , tomatoes, and chili and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add the drained beans and salt pork together with the sausage, chicken, steak, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and water. Mix well bring to simmering point then cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring from time to time and adding more water if necessary to ensure that the beans remain covered whilst cooking.
5. Add the pumpkin, greens, beans, sweet potato, and plantain, mix well and continue to simmer for a further 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft. Serve hot with rice and/or toasted manioc meal.
Back to: Feijoada