- 1.3kg/3lbs Cassava (Manioc/Yucca) root
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 5 Egg Whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 225g/8oz Granulated Sugar
- 225/8oz Margarine
- 75g/3oz Desiccated Coconut
- 50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 480ml/16fl.oz. Milk
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teasp Ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and lightly butter a 22cm/9-inch springform tin.
2. Peel the cassava root and grate it into a large mixing bowl. Cover with plenty of cold water, mix well, then press the grated cassava through a cloth (or fine strainer) making sure you press out as much of the water as possible.
3. Place the squeezed out cassava into a large mixing bowl together with the grated coconut, cheese, margarine, sugar, egg yolks, cinnamon, egg whites. Mix well then add the milk with a pinch of salt and the baking powder. Beat with a wooden spoon to thoroughly blend.
4. Transfer to the greased baking tin and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.
Back to: Brazil Recipes