- 450g/1lb Dried Codfish (saltfish), soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 teasp freshly chopped Chives
- 2 teasp freshly chopped Parsley
- 150g/+5oz finely chopped Onion
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Milk
- 450g/1lb Mashed Potato
- 3 tbsp Flour
- ˝ teasp Paprika
- 3 large Eggs, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep frying
1. Drain the pre-soaked fish, place in a saucepan, cover with fresh water and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Drain the fish well then remove bones and skin and chop finely. Set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the chives, parsley, onion, and chopped fish and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent.
4. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and allow the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
5. Preheat the oil to 180C/350F. With lightly floured hands, shape the cooled fish mixture into small balls.
6. Drop the balls into the hot oil, (you will have to do this in batches) and fry until golden brown on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.
Back to: Brazil Recipes