- 450g/1lb Salted Cod (saltfish) pre-soaked overnight
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, grated
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 1 Red Capsicum (sweet Pepper) deseeded and chopped
- 1 Green Capsicum (sweet Pepper) deseeded and chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Hot Water
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Dende (palm) Oil
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Thick Coconut Milk
- 100g/4oz Spring Onions, chopped (both white and green parts)
1. Drain the fish and remove any skin and bones. Pat dry with kitchen paper and cut it into 5cm/2-inch pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan add the onion, garlic, and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add the tomatoes, fish, and hot water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.
4. Season to taste with pepper and stir in the dende oil, coconut milk and the spring onions. Heat through gently without allowing the mixture to boil. Serve hot.
Back to: Brazil Recipes