There are several small shops selling artcraft scattered all around the city (including the shopping centers). However, some places concentrate a large number of artcraft traders, where tourists can find more diversity and better prices (bargaining is always necessary). Avoid the shops in the airport, where prices are at least the double as in other places.
Mercado São José, across the river from Recife Antigo, is a fabulous place to buy jewelry made of coconut, palm fronds, and different seeds, adorable rag dolls, straw bags, etc. Mercado São José is located on Praça D. Vital, in the São José district. It opens from Monday thru Saturday from 6AM to 5:30PM, and on Sundays from 6AM to 12PM.
Below, a list of some shopping centers in Recife, some of them close to the centre.
·Avenida Dantas Barreto
- Espinheiro Shopping: R. Amélia, 114, Graças, Recife. Phone: (81) 3241-8589
- Plaza Shopping Casa Forte: R. Dr. João Santos Filho, 255, Casa Forte, Recife. Phone: (81) 3441-9410
- Shopping Boa Viagem - Outlet: Av. Pres. Dutra, 298, Boa Viagem, Recife. Phone: (81) 3471-8013
- Shopping Center Boa Vista: R. do Giriquiti, 48, Boa Vista, Recife. Phone: (81) 3423-5666
- Shopping Center Guararapes: R. Av.Barreto de Menezes, 800, Jaboatão dos Guararapes. Phone: (81) 3464-2211
- Shopping Center Recife: R. Padre Carapuceiro, 777, Boa Viagem, Recife. Phone: (81) 3464-6123
- Shopping Center Tacaruna: Av. Agamenon Magalhães, 153, Campo Grande, Recife. Phone: (81) 3412-6000
- Shopping Parnamirim: R. João Jude de Melo, 77, Parnamirim. Recife.Phone: (81) 3442-2459
·Casa da Cultura
·Mercado de São José
·Museu da Cicade
·Museu de Arte Moderna and the Forte do Brum
·Museu do Estado
·Museu do Homem do Nordeste
·Museu do Trem
·Olaria de Brennand